Skylight Music Theatre is made up of programs that range from what you see on our stages to things you never see — outreach programs in the community, education, programs in the classrooms and more.
To support a Skylight program, please contact Campaign Manager Chris Zello at 414-299-4953 or by email to make your contribution.
‘Tis the Season to Give! Purchase a $75 Gift Certificate for Swig or Water Buffalo & receive 2 tickets to Skylight Music Theatre! A portion of the proceeds support Skylight’s Enlighten Education Program! Now thru December 31. http://www.getsosh.com/gift2012.html
Enlighten — Skylight’s Education Program
Enlighten provides K–12 students with dynamic performing arts workshops, artist residencies and performances that build excitement about music theatre, writing and visual arts. These activities include:
Standard Songbook (K–3)
- This interactive touring show introduces students to basic musical concepts. Classroom teachers receive a curriculum guide and a CD of songs.
- $250 to underwrite the touring performance for one school
Stories that Sing Residencies (4–8)
- Elementary and middle school students write adaptations of stories and scripts, sing songs from musicals, and create props and puppets that are combined in a culminating performance
- $5,000 to underwrite the residency for one partner school
KidsWrites Writing Workshops (4–7)
- In these creative writing workshops, students discuss a theme, participate in theatre exercises to create characters and situations, and write stories, poems, and raps
- $100 to underwrite two workshops for one classroom
KidsWrites Touring Show (4–7)
- The writing students create in the KidsWrites workshops is selected from, staged and performed by professional actors. 8-10 pieces are set to music by composers. The show is toured to schools and community venues.
- $250 to underwrite the touring performance for one school
KidsWrites Residency (4–7)
- Partner schools receive an additional six workshops to work with Skylight teaching artists to stage and perform their own writing.
- $1,500 to underwrite the residency for one partner school
- Students participate in music theatre and creative writing workshops to generate stories and poems inspired by a theme. Students work with teaching artists to either compose, stage or perform selected writing.
- $1,000 to underwrite two workshops for one classroom
Musical Theatre Residency (9–12)
- Students work with a music director and a choreographer/director to stage various musical numbers for performances during and after school.
- $3,000 to underwrite the residency for one partner school
Student Matinee Series
- Students attend a full Skylight production with reduced-price admission for schools, audience guides, and a post-performance Q & A session.
- $250 to underwrite attendance by 30 students at one student matinee
MPS Partner School Initiative
- MPS Partner School Initiative provides in-depth free programming to eight MPS schools. This program is residency-based and builds life-enriching connections between classroom learning and artistic expression by promoting skills essential to success in school, such as collaboration, creativity and critical thinking. Our partner schools are Vieau School, Victory Italian Immersion, Milwaukee High School of the Arts (MHSA), 95th Street Elementary School, Morgandale School, Hawthorne Elementary School, Vincent High School and Roosevelt Middle School of the Arts.
- $7,500 to underwrite all programming for one partner school
- Our annual Enlighten Celebration is held over two evenings and includes a KidsWrites performance as well as performances by students from our partner schools.
- $1,000 to sponsor the Enlighten Celebration
Resident Artist Program
- The Resident Artist program provides four emerging performers—three singers and one accompanist—a unique opportunity to gain training, performance and arts education experience with a professional regional theatre.
- These resident artists perform “Herman the Horse” at area schools, perform in one cabaret performance during the season They also provide the Skylight with much-needed resources for audience development and community outreach.
- $10,000 to underwrite one Resident Artist for the season
Production Internship Program
- Skylight Music Theatre’s Production Internship Program hosts interns who work on our 2009-2010 productions.
- Areas of specialization for these internships include properties, scenic building/painting, costumes, and stage management.
- $8,500 to sponsor one Production Intern for the season
Skylight on Tour
- Bring Skylight on Tour to your next private party, business event, country club, or community center event.
- Ray Jivoff and our Resident Artists will entertain you with a selection of musical theatre numbers and/or familiar opera arias.
- $500 for a 1 hour performance
- Our Audience Guides serve as an adult education tool, which provides patrons with background on the composer, story line, production, and an overview of what was happening during the time period.
- $3,500 to underwrite the cost of printing for one season
- Skylight Insights, our pre-show discussion, offers an overview of the opera/musical and information about the production.
- These overviews, which include a question and answer session, have helped patrons to follow the storyline of the opera and more deeply engage in the viewing experience.
- $500 to sponsor Insights pre-show talks for one production
- $2,500 to sponsor Insights pre-show talks for all five main stage productions
Opening Night Cast Parties
- Opening Night Cast Parties are open to patrons attending opening night performances of our productions and provides them with the opportunity to talk with the director, cast members, musicians, and designers.
- Complimentary champagne and hors d’oeuvres are served.
- $1,000 to sponsor the opening night cast party for one main stage production
- $5,000 to sponsor the opening night cast parties for the entire season
Behind the Scenes Events
- Behind the Scenes events provide donors and subscribers the opportunity to get a look at the construction of a show one week or more before opening night, and include presentations by production staff and designers.
- Complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres are served.
- $500 to sponsor a Behind the Scenes event for one production
- $2500 to sponsor the Behind the Scenes event for the entire season
Annual Piano Maintenance
- Annual piano maintenance is necessary to keep the Skylight’s nine pianos ready for performances and programs.
- $5,000 to underwrite the annual cost of piano maintenance